Mark,

On 1/24/17 8:00 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 19/01/2017 22:45, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> More updates as I get them.
>
> We are all systems go :)

!!

> We *really* need to start getting names against the various talk
> ideas we already have and turn those into CFP submissions ASAP.

If you have already submitted a paper, please either annotate the
TomcatCon NA 2017 wiki page[1] or reply to this message and let us
know. We need to be able to reach-out to get speakers for those topics
that don't yet have a presenter, and we don't want to double-book a topi
c.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/TomcatCon+NA+2017

> The CFP closes on 11 Feb.

Note that you don't have to have the presentation ready in order to
make a submission. You can wait until it's been accepted to begin
working on it if you want.

For those who think they might not be able to "get off work", remember
that Tomcat (presumably) powers your software deployments. You have
been getting completely-free software and support the whole time you
have been using Tomcat. You probably use other ASF software in your
stack since you are using Tomcat. I think you can make a pretty
compelling argument to your boss that (a) the way you "pay" for Tomcat
is to be a part of the community, (b) part of being in the community
is occasionally going to conferences, (c) part of being in the
community is sharing your experiences (giving presentations), and (d)
this type of conference counts as "professional development". If you
give a presentation, it also counts as a publication :)

While your employer can't "sponsor" your presentation, it is entirely
appropriate for you to include your employer's name in your sides
(usually on an introductory slide). Both you and your employer are
free (and encouraged!) to publicize your presentation as widely as you
can. It's great for us because we get more interest in the conference.
It's great for you because you get to be a speaker at
ApacheCon^H^H^H^H^HTomcatCon! Tomcat, like httpd, powers a great chunk
of the Internet and being known as an expert in the community ain't
too shabby.