Mark,

On 1/9/17 6:57 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> All,
>
> There is the opportunity (if we can pull it together as a
> community) to run a dedicated Tomcat conference alongside ApacheCon
> NA 2017. The dates are May 16 to 18.
>
> The call for papers closes on Feb 11 so we have around a month to
> get organised. We'll also need to convince the conference
> organisers that a) there is a demand for this and b) we have a
> plan.
>
> Getting the right content is going to be critical to success. I've
> been thinking about this for a while and I think we can identify
> the right content if as many folks as possible on this list answer
> the following question:
>
> "What topic(s) need to be covered in a Tomcat conference to make it
> as easy as possible to get your employer to pay for you to
> attend?"
>
> We have up to three days and potentially multiple tracks so even if
> you think you have a niche requirement, please speak up. We
> typically have a number of Tomcat committers speaking at ApacheCon
> so finding someone to cover a particular topic shouldn't be too
> tricky. Equally, if you have a topic you could present on that you
> think others would find useful, speak up.
>
> Do feel free to add your +1 if someone else mentions a topic your
> are interested first. Having an idea of how popular the topics are
> would also be helpful.
>
> Also, we don't have to stick to the standard "Sit and listen to
> someone present for 40 mins" format. Discussions, workshops,
> hackathons are all possible.
>
> Some topic ideas to get the ball rolling.
>
> Hands-on workshop: Configuring TLS with Apache Tomcat Reverse
> Proxying to Apache Tomcat Load-balancing with Apache Tomcat
> Clustering  with Apache Tomcat Tomcat Clinic (like the users list
> but with everyone in the same room)
>
> I look forward to hearing your topic ideas.

This isn't really Tomcat-specific, but it might require a bit of
configuration change from the default.

I don't know a thing about Websocket other than vaguely how it works
from an HTTP-upgrade-to-wide-open-byte-transfer-channel point of view.
I know some of the use-cases it covers, but I'm not sure how I would
get started. I'd love for someone to give a tour of some simple
application to dissect it and describe what's going on. It could even
be a "tour of the snake example" for all I care.

I think some people think that presentations at e.g. ApacheCon need to
be highly technical or complex, or presented by people whose names
they recognize.

I disagree.

If someone will come and give a presentation on Websocket, I'll waive
their registration fee[1].

- -chris

[1] Note that all speakers get their registration fees waived. :)