André,

On 1/17/17 6:29 AM, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
> "How to get the most performance / lowest resource usage out of
> your Tomcat"
>
> Admittedly, this is a vast and tortuous subject. But it seems to me
> that considering - java's reputation in general for being a
> computing resource hog - the multitude of parameters available in
> terms of settings for the Connectors, Executors, database
> connections pools, GC etc.

What about Jean-Frereric's and my previous presentations on connector
performance? It doesn't cover GC and DB, of course.

> To provide some kind of (admittedly narrow) real-world link to the
> above, see the current thread on the user's list, entitled
> originally "tomcat 8080 thread not reduced". Clearly it shows that,
> for example, the way in which Tomcat allocates/deallocates
> request-processing threads is not very clear from the available
> documentation, nor whether it has really an impact on tomcat's
> resource usage or performance.

The confusion is about the default default defaults. I believe that
(a) documentation update is in order and (b) an implementation change
might be in order as well. There is no reason why a <Connector> with
e.g. minSpareThreads should not create an <Executor> that behaves as
if it had been configured with separate <Connector>/<Executor>s.

> To provide a wider context : most of the experts who are answering
> questions on this tomcat user's list are tomcat code committers,
> for whom java in general, and the tomcat code in particular, hold
> no mysteries.  For such people, some highly technical presentation
> subject would probably seem most appealing.  But the purpose of
> Mark's appeal seems to be to gather a wider potential audience, so
> it may be sensible to choose some subjects with could potentially
> appeal to people who would not normally go to such highly-focused
> presentations.

+1

I just got off the phone with a customer who was struggling to
understand why his TLS certificate wouldn't load. He replaced the old
cert with the one one and restarted the service. TLS wouldn't come up.
Anyone with experience would know that the key and cert need to match,
but he didn't understand that: he was just following the "SSL guide"
from his CA -- which was awful, by the way.

I kind of scoffed at markt's suggestion that we have a "Configuring
TLS with Apache Tomcat" workshop, but I think that 90% of the
attendees to an ApacheCon could use a tutorial on what TLS is, what a
certificate is, and why there are so many moving parts.

> In any case, if you want to convince your boss to send you there,
> there has to be a presentation title which your boss can understand
> and relate to. Without of course making it so appealing that he
> will decide to attend himself.

So what is your boss interested in? I think I still owe you a few beers.
.

- -chris