Al

You may or may not find this helpful...

-----Original Message-----
From: Al Grant [mailto:bigal...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2017 8:34 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Debugging

> Hello,
>
> System: Windows 10
> Tomcat Var: 8.5.4
> IDE: Intellij Ultimate
> Java: v1.8
>
> I have started out creating war files. At the moment I am deploying by copying
> the war to the webapps directory and then using chrome to browse the URL.
>
> I am compling the war in Intellij, but starting tomcat seperately from the
> command line.
>
> I need to start to debug.
>
> I can connect the Intellij debugger to 8000 and I get some output that I have
> connected ok:
>
> Connected to server
> Connected to target VM, address localhost:8000 etc
>
> What is not clear to me is :
>
> 1. How would I use a breakpoint? Intelijlets me set one but this is not
> honoured
> when I compile as war (in gradle) 2. Despite the servlet seeming doing the
> right
> thing (redirect) when I hit a submit button the println statements do not
> appear
> to write anything to either the CLI or the debugger.

I use IntelliJ Idea for one of my projects too.  The artifact generated is a
JAR file, which is invoked from the command line in Windows.  However, when
debugging, I run the application from inside IJ-Idea.

There may be a way to "attach to process" (similar to MS Visual Studio) in
IJ-Idea, but I have no idea how.

Also, be sure to set javac debug=true when compiling.  ;-)

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI Lead Software Engineer