> Uh, EXCUSE ME, my post was NOT a "ranting."
>
> It was A REQUEST FOR TECHNICAL INFORMATION.
>
> The unusual way Tomcat is organized if installed via an "apt-get" from
> Debian's repository is a given. I made OBSERVATIONS about it, by way of
> framing my question. While I could not manage to keep my opinions on that
> organization completely to myself, I DID endeavor to restrain those
> opinions.
>
> The question is, *HOW* does Tomcat know where to find webapp contexts in all
> those different places? Obviously, SOMETHING, presumably something in a
> configuration file, has to tell it to look for them in a bunch of different
> places, but WHAT, and WHERE?

I see that you mentioned that you are using Tomcat 7.

See [1] for how contexts are defined and [2] for attributes "appBase"
and "xmlBase" of a Host.

[1]
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html#Defining_a_context
[2] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html#Common_Attributes

Generally, context are created in three ways:
1) when Tomcat starts and server.xml is parsed

If there are any explicit "Context" elements in a Host, a Context is
created for each.

2) by auto-deployment logic that runs when Tomcat starts (aka
deployOnStartup) or runs periodically (aka autoDeploy)

It looks for files in Host's xmlBase (I see somewhere it is called
"configBase") and directories in Host's appBase directory. See [3]

3) programmatically via API, JMX calls
- via Tomcat Manager web application,
by org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig listener [4],
etc.

[3]
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html#Automatic_Application_Deployment
[4]