On 16.08.2017 17:22, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
Uh, EXCUSE ME, my post was NOT a "ranting."

It was A REQUEST FOR TECHNICAL INFORMATION.

The unusual way Tomcat is organized if installed via an "apt-get" from Debian's
repository
is a given. I made OBSERVATIONS about it, by way of framing my question. While
I could not
manage to keep my opinions on that organization completely to myself, I DID
endeavor to
restrain those opinions.

The question is, *HOW* does Tomcat know where to find webapp contexts in all
those
different places? Obviously, SOMETHING, presumably something in a configuration
file, has
to tell it to look for them in a bunch of different places, but WHAT, and WHERE?

Hi.
I did not mean to suggest that /your/ post was a ranting, and I understood perfectly that you just wanted to know. My purpose was to address some other posts, in response to yours but also many previous similar ones, which repeatedly go in the direction of "install a standard Tomcat" as a response to questions like yours. (That's also why I prefixed my intervention with [OT]).
My apologies if this was not clear.
(But no need to SHOUT either)

Kontantin started to answer your question.
See also the last (non-PS) paragraph of my previous post, to understand why we cannot always answer questions quickly and in a simple way. The problem in this case is : your question looks simple in appearance; but the full answer /is/ really complex, and involves many variations, some of which have to do with the platform, some with the scripts which on that platform start Tomcat, some with the Tomcat configuration files, some with the Tomcat version, some with the applications themselves etc. So the "SOMETHING" that you want to find out, is not /one/ thing, but /many/ things which cooperate (or not) to provide the full answer.

I could tell you exactly how it works on /my/ Debian systems, with /my/ version of Debian, with /my/ version of Java, /my/ version of Tomcat and /my/ applications. But unless you happened to have the same as mine for everything, that would not be entirely applicable to your situation. We all had to go through the same exercise, to find out how Tomcat and its applications were started on our particular platform of choice, and we all have to redo that same exercise from time to time, as things keep changing.

So as a start, look at /etc/init.d/tomcat7 on your system, and check what other files this calls/references. One important thing here, is what the environment variable CATALINA_BASE ends up containing.