Chad,

On 2/27/18 9:44 AM, Chad Stansbury wrote:
> We've been troubleshooting an issue where our web application is
> getting a very occasional request that contains no cookies even
> though a Wireshark on the application server shows those cookies
> coming in on the request.
>
> I was able to replay the request that was captured via Wireshark,
> and when doing so, everything goes through just fine... so that
> rules out any sort of weird character set / header parsing issues.
>
> Environment specifics: Tomcat v7.0.77 running the (http-bio)
> connector
>
> Now here's the twist: Currently something in the site
> infrastructure has been configured to proxy to Tomcat with HTTP/1.0
> instead of 1.1. We're trying to track that down and address that
> issue (for performance reasons), but in the mean time, we're
> wondering whether or not this is a concurrency issue related to
> protocol caching/recycling?
>
> Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Is there any
> legitimate scenario(s) where Tomcat will *not* parse out the
> cookies, but still route the request to the web app? Is this
> possible an edge condition that that might be caused by the use of
> HTTP/1.0? Could this possibly be caused by the number of maxThreads
> exceeding the `processorCache` value?

My immediate thought is that the cookie name or value contains a
character that causes parsing to fail within Tomcat. Do you have any
information about which cookies appear to be being ignored by Tomcat
(that is, not passed-on to the application) versus those that ARE
available to the application?

Tomcat will generally log cookie-parsing errors to catalina.log, and
possibly to the application's log as well, but it may only do so once
per Tomcat-launch to avoid filling the disk with logs. Are you seeing
anything in the Tomcat logs which suggest that cookie-parsing is failing
?

Is the client a browser, or some non-human-interface device, such as a
client-library or something like that?