On 18/10/18 09:52, M. Manna wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We received in error in our application after we have upgraded to 8.5.34
>
> INFO: Error parsing HTTP request header
> Note: further occurrences of HTTP header parsing errors will be logged at
> DEBUG level.
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid character found in the request
> target. The valid characters are defined in RFC 7230 and RFC 3986
>

> The URI we have for this problem has the following param (did work with
> 8.5.28)
>
> defaultMessageType=true&locale=en_US&action=[key:label.edit]
>
> The issue is the action parameter value. Could someone help me understand
> the following?
>
> 1) Since the issue didn't happen for 8.5.28 - this means some CVE has
> triggered this change to be in place. I am just trying to confirm if this
> is CVE-2016-681 ? If not, could you please let me know which one that is?

The change in request parsing was prompted by CVE-2016-6816. There
wasn't a specific attack that prompted this particular change.
CVE-2016-6816 was caused by not parsing the request line as per the
spec. Therefore, to reduce the risk of future vulnerabilities, we have
been tightening up the parsing of the request line.

> 2) Apart from refactoring code, is there any recommended corrective action?

The correct fix is to ensure that the user agents are sending
specification compliant requests.

The work-around is to use relaxedPathChars and/or relaxedQueryChars on
the Connector.

Mark