Thanks a bunch Mark.

"The correct fix is to ensure that the user agents are sending
specification compliant requests." - Do you mean at browser level ? If so,
is there any specific browser/update we can use? We've checked a few
browsers so far (Firefox, Edge, Chrome) and none of them seem to have this
option (or we might've missed it).

We are using relaxedQueryChars for now - but would like to understand the
fix you've proposed above.