Completely off-topic.  But I figure this is the perfect group to ask this question to.  I will be teaching a university level intro to Java programming (for non-programming majors) in the spring semester.  I am looking for a good textbook to use.   I've been out of academia for years.  So I'm not up to date on available java textbooks.   If you are aware of a good textbook, please let me know.  You can reply here.  Or just PM me at the address above (please put 'textbook' in the subject line if you PM me).

Thanks.

Jerry (ProfJerry.com)

Jerry,
I do teach intro Java programming at an on-line University, plus I've taught Java for many years in other colleges and continuing-ed programs.

My personal preferred text is Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java", but it's really more of a reference text than a good "reader". There are many easy to read texts, but I find them all very short on substance.

Our course currently uses the OER (Online Educational Resource) text JavaNotes, a.k.a. "Introduction to Programming Using Java",, 7ed by David Eck. I'm not terribly fond of this book.

https://math.hws.edu/javanotes/

I am currently revising the course and will be using the 8th edition of the same text by Eck.

https://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/javanotes8/

The primary benefit of this text is that it is OER. That means it's free, and being OER you are free to modifiy/edit/extend the book as long as you observe the OER rules, which basically state you keep the authorship intact.

Frankly, I think OER is the wave of the future in texts simply because it takes the power away from the book publishers and puts it back in the hands of those who directly benefit from having free, good texts.

Cheers,
-Richard

---