On 04/12/2018 10:19, Frank Schullerer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think this question is independent from the tomcat version but I tried it
> with Tomcat 9.0.13 on Windows.
> We have several "service" tags in our server.xml because we have several
> applications
> running in one tomcat with several ports and different configuration
> (clientAuth etc).
> I tried to use the tomcat manager to deploy to different services but it
> failed. It seems that the tomcat manager can only deploy within the same
> service because when I deploy the tomcat manager itself to a different
> service than it works. I can deploy to that service.
>
> Is this correct or can I configure the tomcat manager to deploy to other
> services? I also tried to achive that with a configuration with
> "context.xml" but failed.
>
> Please help!

TL;DR you can't deploy services that way.

The Tomcat Manager application only works with the Host to which it has
been deployed.

In Tomcat:
- There is exactly one Server
- A Server may contain 0 or more Services
- A Service may contain 0 or more Connectors and no more than one Engine
- An Engine may contain 0 or more Hosts
- A host may contain 0 or more Contexts (Context == web application)

(I left a few things like Valves and Executors out to keep it simple)

The Tomcat Host Manager application only works with the Engine
associated with the Host to which it has been deployed.

Mark