On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 14:13, Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 1:46 PM Johan Compagner <jcompag...@servoy.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >

> > On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 13:15, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > A frequent topic of discussion at ApacheCon EU was Jakarta EE 9. For
> > those
> > > of you who aren't familiar with Jakarta EE the key points are:
> > >
> > > - Oracle have donated Java EE to Eclipse
> > > - Eclipse have released Jakarta EE 8 which is essentially identical to
> > > Java EE 8
> > > - Oracle have refused to allow changes to the APIs in the javax
> namespace
> > > - The Jakarta EE community seem to be reaching consensus on releasing
> > > Jakarta EE 9 which will rename all the Java packages from javax.* to
> > > jakarta.*
> > >

> > what does this rename really mean?
> >
> > import javax.servlet.http.HttpSession;
> > import javax.websocket.Session;
> >
> > those are renamed?
> > If that is yes that would mean pretty much everything will break?
> >

> https://eclipse-foundation.blog/2019/05/03/jakarta-ee-java-trademarks/
> I thought everyone knew about this. We were supposed to have a session on
> this rename at ApacheCon EU, but unfortunately it didn't happen.
>
> Rémy

phh this is really horrible, one more reason to kind of hate Oracle..
this will split up a huge thing... So  for example if you make Tomcat 10 to
only have "jakarta.xxx"
so all the existing code will not work on that anymore. then that tomcat
will be for a long time in its own small corner..

We will not be able to use that for years to come.. because we have no
control over what people are really using
We still target java 8 (and that will also be the case for the coming years
i am afraid)

johan

--
Johan Compagner