Peter,

On 12/27/19 11:27, logo wrote:
> Am 2019-12-27 16:40, schrieb Christopher Schultz: That's the plan.
> In Las Vegas, Christopher Tubbs did say to me "aw, I was really
> hoping for you to tell us that you just set letsEncrypt="true" in
> your configuration and you are done". So there is definitely more
> that can be done, here.
>
> The plan was to try to get someone to integrate my script (or
> equivalent) into certbot or other ACME clients. Maybe what we
> really need is a command that can be run that "gracefully" restarts
> the server -- like httpd already does. There is no reason to
> actually restart the server -- just reinitialize the TLS engine for
> the connector. So maybe what we need is a script that basically
> just hits the jmxproxy to reinit the connector and tell certbot to
> use that when it's done with the ACME stuff.
>
>> oh I get the idea! a hook-script, right?

Yeah, I guess. certbot basically runs "apachectl graceful" when you
are using the "apache" plug-in. If we had a "tomcat" plug-in, maybe
that could run "tomcatctl graceful" and that just pings the manager
application. Unfortunately, it needs a bunch of configuration like the
hostname and port number to use, username/password, which connector to
bounce, etc.

>> Like the 2nd part of your script. well specifically it could
>> reload only the SSLHostConfig affected by this new cert curl
>> "https:/$JMXUSER:$JMXPASSWORD@localhost:${SERVICE_PORT}/manager/jmxpr
oxy?invoke=Catalina:type=ProtocolHandler,port={CONNECTOR_PORT}&op=reload
SslHostConfig&ps=${HOSTNAME}"

Right,

but the idea is that certbot has "plug-ins" and we'd need to
supply a "tomcat" plug-in that did things like this. I'm not sure
where the best place to keep configuration would be. Someone who
understands certbot (or autobot, etc.) would be a better resource than m
e.

>> Or did you think about a bin/version.sh type script? That would
>> get a +1 from me.

What do you mean?

>> What I don't like is, that one needs to add credentials in
>> tomcat-users.xml and expose the manager-interface.
You can use other authentication mechanisms... it's just that usually
nobody bothers since it's easy to configure tomcat-users.xml. Exposing
the manager interface is a bit of pain, but it can be scripted. Our
deployments install a proper tomcat-users.xml file and enable the
manager, locked-down to localhost connections.