James,

On 12/27/19 17:07, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
>>> As it happens, one way or another (and I'm not entirely sure
>>> *which* way; I'd have to look at my notes), we *do* have
>>> Tomcat listening directly on 443 (but not 80; nothing there is
>>> currently listening on 80) on that particular EC2 instance (and
>>> I'm pretty sure we have HTTPD running on a *different* port,
>>> for the SVN and Trac sharing the box).
>
> Hmm. It seems I was mistaken about two things: (1) that the Tomcat
> server under discussion is listening *directly* on 443, and (2)
> that I could find my notes on how I set the box up.
>
> What I can find is the server.xml file, and the active connector
> definition:
>
> <Connector port="8443" proxyPort="443"
> protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" . . .
> clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />
>
> The thing that catches my eye is port="8443" proxyPort="443"
>
> I hope that indicates how it is I'm getting this to look like port
> 443 to the outside world, because I honestly can't remember what I
> did (even though it looks like it's only been six months since I
> did it).

This means that you are listening on port 443, but when Tomcat builds
URLs for redirection, etc. the port 443 will be used (and, actually,
as likely secure="true", then the port will be omitted because the
default port for https is 443 of course).

There is no proxying going on in Tomcat; this configuration is named
for the use-case: you must have a reverse-proxy somewhere which is
terminating TLS (and likely re-establishing a separate secure link
with Tomcat, since sslProtocol="TLS" in your config). It's probably a
load-balancer which is essentially synonymous with a reverse-proxy in
this context. It's possible to have one without the other, but they
are often performing both functions.

netstat on *NIX should give you the IP(s) of the clients, so you can
probably pretty easily see the IP address of the reverse proxy.