Am I to understand that Tomcat 8.5.40 can use the ".cer," ".ca.crt" and ".key"
files directly, instead of the Java Keystore file?

On 12/30/19 1:41 PM, Peter Kreuser wrote:
Correct!

Great. Then if I can figure out how to get this thing

I'm studying the server under discussion, and I can't figure out what I did, some six months ago, to make Tomcat look like 443 to the outside world.

Here is what I do know:
* It's an AWS EC2 instance.

* There is no load balancer involved.

* The only active connector in server.xml has it listening on 8443, with a proxyPort clause specifying 443.

* If I do a netstat, I find that something is indeed listening on 8443, but nothing is listening on 443.

* If I look at the AWS console, if there is something translating 443 to 8443, I can't find it.

* If I do an "iptables -L," I get only column headings.

* There are evidently two copies of Apache httpd on the box, one of which evidently came with the OS, and the other of which evidently came with the Bitnami SVN/Trac stack. Only the latter copy is active. It is listening on ports 81 (unsecured, but blocked by the firewall) and 8000 (secured).

* If I open port 81 up to my own IP (in the AWS firewall), I can reach the same SVN/Trac landing page on unsecured port 81 that I can on secured port 8000.

* Tomcat is running completely independently of the active httpd: if I shut down the active httpd, Tomcat still responds.

* I was able to find the apache VirtualHost configurations (in a file called bitnami.conf, naturally), and by replacing the one for port 81 with (and once again, domain names have been changed to protect the innocent):
<VirtualHost _default_:81>
 ServerName foo.bar.net
 Redirect permanent / https://foo.bar.net:8000/
</VirtualHost>
the unsecured Port 81 now redirects to 80. Conversely, if I leave out the :8000 it redirects to the Tomcat server.

* Like a complete and utter idiot, I left no notes whatsoever about how I set this thing up in the first place. Probably because I didn't fully understand what I'd done, or how.

* Just as it was when I *was* setting this thing up in the first place, httpd configuration files (that can be all over the place) make me long for the simplicity of Tomcat configuration files.

I *think* I can *probably* get Apache (and a cron job running certbot) on Let's Encrypt, and Tomcat using its certs (and a cron job reloading them), without understanding what I'd done to get Tomcat showing up on 443 to the outside world, but it would be nice if I *did* understand what I'd done.

--
James H. H. Lampert