Is perhaps the AWS firewall (which is a Load Balancer, right?)
redirecting the port?

Easy test (from the server):

$ telnet localhost 443

I hadn't thought of that. But alas, that instance doesn't have Telnet on it.

If it connects, you have something on the host making this work. If it
fails to connect, the 443 -> 8443 magic is outside the host itself.

If, however, I do curl https://foo.bar.net from my Mac, I get a response, but if I do curl https://localhost, it doesn't get anywhere.

Note that if you are using AWS load-balancer, AWS provides free
certificates that auto-renew; just configure them and you are done
forever.

Let me know about the Load-Balancer. That's probably the piece of the
puzzle you aren't looking at quite yet.

No; we *have* load-balanced clusters, and they *are* (as of last month) on AWS's certificate system, so I know what that looks like. This is completely different; when I connect, I see the certificate that is currently active on the Tomcat server (and if I plug a different cert into Tomcat, I see the change from my browser).

--
JHHL