On 1/8/2019 9:57 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

Yes, this default is now very out-dated. That is a side-effect of:
…
As of Servlet 4.0 there is a specification compliant configuration option to change this default to any encoding of your choice. Obviously, UTF-8 is one of the options. You can do this by adding the following to your web.xml:
Whether Tomcat should ship with this setting present in conf/web.xml by default is something that should probably be discussed for Tomcat 10. Given the current state of the web, there is a reasonable case for doing so. I'll add that to the TOMCAT-NEXT discussion list.

Is this still on the list for discussion for Tomcat 10?

In my opinion it would be a real shame if Tomcat 10 ships with a web form encoding default that goes against the WhatWG specifications and corrupts non ISO-8859-1 content under modern browsers.

Garret

P.S. Mark, please ignore the other email from my personal email address. Because the Tomcat users list doesn't include my name in the "To:" header, my email client didn't know to use the correct reply address.