So I really can't believe it, but it WORKS, from end to end. I'm extremely
grateful. This was definitely becoming a bit stressful until I found this
mailing list. I'll have to do some more complete testing but this is
looking good.

Regarding the next release of Tomcat, I may as well give it a try. Tomcat
9, which I tried first, until I ran into this mystery problem, so backed
off to v.8.5.51, has tightened down by forbidding certain characters in the
request, which gave me a few bad moments until I figured out how to allow
them again. Hopefully not too many new surprises in TC 10.

Ellen