Mark,

On 8/26/20 05:27, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 26/08/2020 08:14, Martin Grigorov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 7:53 AM Pratik Shrestha
>> <pratik...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for reply,
>>>
>>> Hi Peter - it complains on port 8443 which belongs to Tomcat.
>>>
>>> Hi Mark - Yes. making HTTP request on HTTPS is wrong. But this
>>> security vulnerability is given to us by Qualys scan. It tries
>>> to post plain HTTP request on HTTPS port and then gets error
>>> message "Bad Request. This combination of host and port
>>> requires TLS." which is security loop hole for Qualys.
>
> On what basis?
>
> I fail to see any security issue here other than "Qualys says so"
> which is not a valid description of a security vulnerability.

My guess is that this is some form of "server fingerprinting" that
they are claiming, like "Zomg! It says Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1! You
are $uper vulnerable to 0days, now!".

Pratik, can you please be very clear about what the actual complaint
is? Are they objecting to one or more of the following:

0. Any legible response at all (meaning they just want a
connection-drop response)
1. Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1 response header
2. Predictable / stock text (e.g. "Bad Request. This
combination of host and port requires TLS." identifies the server as
Tomcat v.x.y or later)
3. Actual Tomcat version number in response

> Absent a description of how this can be exploited (and I'll be
> very surprised if this can be exploited), there is no security
> issue here and Tomcat will not be making any changes.

It seems reasonable to (configurably) strip-out version information if
there is anything in there... which there probably is not.

I'm interested in having Tomcat be able to pass these (admittedly
stupid) security requirements, so maybe we could have a setting on the
<Connector> that can allow ERR_EMPTY_RESP to be sent if the handshake
fails due to probably-not-encrypted just like older versions of Tomcat
did.

IMO, being able to reply in plaintext like this is a *feature* (one
that I personally and specifically lobbied to have added to Tomcat)
and shouldn't be removed. If it's not the end of the world to add an
option to disable it, though, I think we ought to do it.