Hi,

What $CATALINA_HOME/conf/ files should be copied into $CATALINA_BASE?

RUNNING.txt just says:

* conf - Server configuration files (including server.xml)

So it's multiple fileS but not necessarily all if server.xml is
explicitly included?

Ideally I would think it should be only files that need to be modified
since that seems to be the point of using $CATALINA_BASE. Is this
correct?

I'm trying to use $CATALINA_BASE just because it seems like the proper
way to setup Tomcat in general.

Without $CATALINA_BASE everything works as near as I can tell.

But if I change $CATALINA_BASE to be different from $CATALINA_HOME in
my startup bat like:

$CATALINA_HOME/bin/xstart.bat:
SETLOCAL

set JRE_HOME=%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre1.8.0_311
set CATALINA_HOME=C:\path\to\tomcat
set CATALINA_BASE=C:\path\to\tomcat-base

"%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina.bat" run %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

And then in tomcat-base I have:

bin\tomcat-juli.jar
conf\keystore.jks
conf\server.xml

The server.xml is stock except for the following:

    <Connector
        port="8443"
        protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
        scheme="https"
        secure="true"
        SSLEnabled="true">
        <SSLHostConfig>
            <Certificate
                certificateKeystoreFile="conf/keystore.jks"
                certificateKeystorePassword="as1busiw19"/>
        </SSLHostConfig>
    </Connector>

conf\tomcat-users.xml
conf\Catalina\localhost\manager.xml
logs\localhost_access_log.2021-11-15.txt
temp\
webapps\myapp\<mywebappfiles>

Note: There is no myapp\WEB-INF\context.xml

webapps\manager\<managerfiles>

Tomcat starts up ok and Tomcat Manager works. I can see myapp in the
manager which claims it's deployed and running.

But trying to access /myapp results in:

    404 Not Found: The origin server did not find a current
representation for the target resource or is not willing to
disclose that one exists.

I can un-deploy /myapp and re-deploy it through the manager and again,
nothing but 404.

Doesn't work under HTTPS either (and HTTPS works without using $CATALINA_BASE).

What could be the problem here?

I used the following to create a symbolic link to the tomcat directory:

cmd>mklink /d tomcat apache-tomcat-9.0.54

Is this ok?

I'm using Tomcat 9.0.54 32 bit on Windows Server 2016 64 bit. The
native runtime DLL fails to load because it's built for 32bit. But
this seems to fallback to the Java runtime just fine. Is this somehow
a problem?

Do I need a deployment context xml?

I'm a little stumped by this. I don't normally use Tomcat but I just
wanted to create an "Application Note" about how to properly use my
product with Tomcat. So I'm really interested in how this all is
supposed to work and not so much just seeing it work.

Thanks,

Mike
--
Michael B Allen