On 1/24/23 08:04, Berneburg, Cris J. - US wrote:
Hey Chris

I always include a ROOT context so I don't get nasty errors if
there is some kind of misconfiguration at the proxy, etc. It also
allows rewrites to be done "outside" of "the application", etc.

Out of curiosity, what do you put in that ROOT context?  A dummy / placeholder
or the real application?

It consists of a (nearly) empty WEB-INF/web.xml and META-INF/context.xml file and nothing else. It exists to generate 404 responses to anything outside of the actually-deployed web applications.

Otherwise you get a 400 response to anything not in /real-deployed-application/*

Or at least it did a million years ago when I started doing things this way.

-chris