James,

On 3/7/23 03:35, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 06/03/2023 23:58, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
On 03/03/2023 17:44, I wrote:

Ok, another question: will Tomcat 9 accept a "legacy" connector definition in the form as shown below?

<Connector port="443" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol" maxThreads="150"  SSLEnabled="true" scheme="https" secure="true" keystoreFile="/foo/tomcat/bar.ks" keyAlias="baz" clientAuth="false"
 sslProtocol="TLS" />

To which Mark Thomas replied:

Yes.

This afternoon, I realized that I had a guinea pig available for testing
our webapp under Tomcat 9, on an IBM Midrange box.

With a connector defined according to the above form, I tried launching,
and got this:
06-Mar-2023 18:42:08.677 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.<init> Protocol handler instantiation failed java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol at java.lang.Class.forNameImpl(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:339) at org.apache.coyote.ProtocolHandler.create(ProtocolHandler.java:260)
. . .

So I'm guessing I need to change the class given in the protocol clause. To what?

Sorry, I didn't check the values provided in the example. I was just looking at the overall style.

You need one of the following:

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Nio2Protocol
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol

The significant change here is that HTTP BIO is no longer available in Tomcat 9. Actually... HTTP BIO should not have been available to you in Tomcat 8.5 either. Are you upgrading from 8.0.something?

These days, NIO is the default so unless you have a specific reason to override that, I wouldn't even bother specifying the protocol.

-chris