On 08/06/2023 16:32, Zoltan Balogh wrote:
Dear Apache Team,

I just would like to ask is there any planned EOL for Tomcat 9?

Best guess at the moment (and it is only a guess - no decisions have been made) is 3 years after 8.5.x is EOL which gives a date of 31 March 2027.

It is worth noting that Tomcat major versions track releases of the Jakarta Servlet specification and there has been an effort from the Jakarta project to increase the release cadence. Delays are also not unheard of. The estimate above could easily be a year out in either direction.

We are heavily using Java 8 that is supported until 2030, so we expect Apache
Tomcat 9 will be also support while Java 8 is supported.

That is extremely unlikely at this point.

Important note that Tomcat 9 is the last release that works fine with Java 8
along with Java EE. Therefore, it is highly important for us to have a
maintained Tomcat 9 for Java 8.

Once Tomcat 9.0.x reaches EOL we will provide, assuming there is demand, Tomcat 9.10.x which will be Tomcat 10.1.x but with the Java EE 8 API. The minimum Java requirement for 9.10.x will be Java 11.

Once Tomcat 10.1.x reaches EOL we will provide Tomcat 9.11.x which would be Tomcat 11.0.x but with the Java EE 8 API.

And so on.

All our planning to date has assumed that the primary demand would be for the newer features (that require newer JREs) supported by newer Tomcat versions but with the Java EE 8 API. If that assumption is incorrect and the primary demand is for Tomcat 9.0.x that runs on Java 8 then it is possible that we could just keep supporting Tomcat 9.0.x. Given that Tomcat 9.0.x will run quite happily on any currently supported version of Java (and should continue to do so) the EOL for Java 8 isn't really relevant to when we stop supporting Tomcat 9.0.x.

Any change in our plans for ongoing 9.0.x support would need some discussion. Input from the community would be especially useful.

Mark