On 2023-06-08 18:17, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 08/06/2023 16:32, Zoltan Balogh wrote:
Dear Apache Team,

I just would like to ask is there any planned EOL for Tomcat 9?

Best guess at the moment (and it is only a guess - no decisions have been made) is 3 years after 8.5.x is EOL which gives a date of 31 March 2027.

It is worth noting that Tomcat major versions track releases of the Jakarta Servlet specification and there has been an effort from the Jakarta project to increase the release cadence. Delays are also not unheard of. The estimate above could easily be a year out in either direction.

We are heavily using Java 8 that is supported until 2030, so we expect Apache Tomcat 9 will be also support while Java 8 is supported.

That is extremely unlikely at this point.

Important note that Tomcat 9 is the last release that works fine with Java 8 along with Java EE. Therefore, it is highly important for us to have a maintained Tomcat 9 for Java 8.

Once Tomcat 9.0.x reaches EOL we will provide, assuming there is demand, Tomcat 9.10.x which will be Tomcat 10.1.x but with the Java EE 8 API. The minimum Java requirement for 9.10.x will be Java 11.

Once Tomcat 10.1.x reaches EOL we will provide Tomcat 9.11.x which would be Tomcat 11.0.x but with the Java EE 8 API.

I wonder to what extent this is necessary at all. Baseline is Java EE 8 and Java 8 and it should stay that way, I guess. If some code is back ported, sure it needs to be refitted to Java 8 if necessary, otherwise there would no more Java EE 8 capable container on Java 8. Moving to a new Java version is one thing, but replacing namespaces is a completely different one for people.