Eric,

On 5/29/24 12:10, Eric Robinson wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2024 10:19 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Database Connection Requests Initiated but Not Sent on the Wire
(Some, Not All)

On 29/05/2024 16:08, Eric Robinson wrote:

I believe your assessment is correct. How hard is it to enable pooling? Can it
be bolted on, so to speak, through changes to the app context, such that the
webapp itself does not necessarily need to implement special code?

It looks like - from the database configuration you provided earlier - there is
an
option to configure the database via JNDI. If you do that with Tomcat you will
automatically get pooling. That might be something to follow up with the
vendor. If you go that route, I'd recommend configuring the pool to remove
abandoned connections to avoid any issues with connection leaks.

In reviewing live threads with Visual VM, I note that there are apparently
threads related to cleaning up abandoned connections, and maybe even pooling?

The threads are:

mysql-cj-abandoned-connection-cleanup (2 of those)

This thread is started by the MySQL driver to clean-up certain resources and isn't related to connection pooling. I've had issues with these things not shutting down on application-stop in certain versions of MySQL's driver. :/

OkHttp Connection Pool (2 of those)
OkHttp https://ps.pndsn.com (not sure what that is)

OkHttp is a network connection pool for HTTP connections. It's not related to dB connection pooling.

Most pools do not have any extra threads required, so you wouldn't find any evidence of such things running in your system.

-chris