This page might be a useful resource to read if you haven't already:
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/context.html

The short version is -- to publish an application in the "root" web url
path (of http(s)://your.server-name.com/), you can name your WAR file
"ROOT.war" and copy it to the <catalina-base>/webapps folder. Tomcat will
extract it into a folder called "ROOT", but this is not a subfolder called
"ROOT" when served to clients, it's served as "/".

Nothing else needs doing to map paths -- nothing really on your context, or
any system config file, etc.