> What is impact on memory utilization if we increase the acceptCount value?
> There are 100 tomcat instances on the server. And would maxThreads have to
> be increased to accommodate the extra connections?

After reading more, I guess that's a dumb question.

I'm trying to prevent connections from being rejected. As I understand it, when
the server hits the maxThreads limit, then additional connections queue up,
until the acceptCount value is finally reached, and then new connections are
rejected. Since I am seeing connection refusals, then it is possible that the
acceptCount limit is being reached. If so, then it seems there are two ways to
address this. I can either increase acceptCount, which gives the server more
time to make threads are available, or I can increase maxThreads, in which case
more requests can be handled concurrently and the acceptCount may not be
reached. Both of these settings improve performance, but in different ways.
maxThreads improves performance by allowing more requests to be processed
concurrently, while acceptCount improves performance by preventing connections
from being refused, which requires requests to be reissued by the client, and
that is an expensive process.

Which of these approaches is correct? I tend to think increasing maxThreads is
better if the server has enough memory and CPU. However, since the impact on
memory and CPU depend on the characteristics of the app, that's not a question
you can be expected to answer.

-Eric

Disclaimer : This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for intended recipients. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or
opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not
represent those of Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physician
Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are
present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or
damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.