Found the problem, so in case anyone is interested:

  Chris wrote:
  >My suggestion above is almost certainly the problem: you have two
>competing versions of Apache installed. You should pick one and
>uninstall the other. From experience, I have to say that using the
>version available from the package manager (does CentOS use RPM?) is
>almost always better than compiling everything yourself, because
>dependencies are generally checked appropriately, etc. when you let the
>package manager handle everything. Just my .02.
>
>-chris
Despite my claiming Apache wasn't already installed, Chris was right.  Sorry
for my mistake and the resulting confusion.  A 'yum list installed httpd'
showed the previous version was present, and that explains the problem.  We can
at least get mod_jk compiled and installed now.  Thanks for the help Chris!

  -Tim