Do you include a <resource-ref> in your WEB-INF/web.xml file?

You might also want to post your web.xml

Pid wrote:
post your context.xml

Darren Hall wrote:
Hi all.

I'm attempting to set up database connection pool using Tomcat 5.5 and
Oracle 10g. I've been following the "JNDI How To" guide from Apache
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
). My question is - where should I define the connection pool resource?
Meaning, where should my "Resource" element appear. I've read two different
descriptions about how this should be done in the Apache documentation. The
first description (from the above link) states that I should modify
server.xml and add a new Context element as such <Context path="/DBTest"
docBase="DBTest" debug="5" reloadable="true" crossContext="true"> and in
that new context define my resource for my connection pool. However, if you
read the "Context" documentation linked to the above How-To (located at this
link: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html) you'll
find in there the following text - "Please note that for tomcat 5, unlike
tomcat 4.x, it is NOT recommended to place <Context> elements directly in
the server.xml file. Instead, put them in the META-INF/context.xml directory
of your WAR file or the conf directory". So I'm wondering if I should modify
server.xml or create a context.xml file. Currently I'm trying the
context.xml file route, but it is not working (although this could be
because I'm configuring things incorrectly). Can anyone point me in the
right direction here?
Thanks,
Darren