I moved my port to 8081 and I still see the same behavior. *sigh*
I'm still getting no positive results. I'm now thinking this issue involves
one of two things. 1) Mod proxy and the way I've configured it; or 2) the
rewrite rules I do on each request to and from my domain.

This is my first time using mod proxy. I have one instance of Tomcat and one
instance of Apache serving multiple web apps. I need to be able to map any
one app to the correct container in Tomcat in a method that is seamless to
the end user. Using mod rewrite, I append an identifier to the end of each
request for a given domain (i.e. for www.abcdomian.com, I append /abc to the
end, giving me www.abcdomain.com/abc. - if the identifier is not already
present) In my httpd-vhosts.conf file I then map /abc to my Tomcat connector
using mod proxy. When the request is returned from Tomcat, the /abc is
removed from the url by mod proxy so that the user never sees the extra
identifier that was appended. Can this behavior be accomplished with mod
proxy alone (meaning I can remove mod rewrite from the picture completely)?
Could this rewrite be causing me to lose the session between Apache and
Tomcat? Do I have mod proxy configured properly and is *that* what is
causing my problems??
Here are my relevant files:

[file: httpd-vhosts.conf]
<VirtualHost www.abcdomain.com>
    ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    DocumentRoot /workfiles/abc/webapps/abcdomain.org/trunk/www/htdocs
    ServerName abcdomain.com
    ErrorLog logs/abc/www.abcdomain.com-error_log
    CustomLog logs/abc/www.abcdomain.com-access_log common
    ProxyRequests Off
    ProxyPass /abc http://localhost:8081/abc
    ProxyPassreverse / http://localhost:8081/abc/
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/abc
    RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ /abc/$1 [P]
</VirtualHost>
[file: server.xml]
               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true"
               proxyName="www.abcdomain.com" proxyPort="80"/>