> From: Rizalino DeVilleres [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: problems with unpacking ROOT.war
>
> To follow up on this thread, is it possible for the appBase and the
> docBase to be set the same?

No, they're different concepts.  The appBase attribute defines the
default location for your collection of webapps for a given host; if
autoDeploy is on, all .war files and properly formatted subdirectories
under appBase are deployed at Tomcat startup.  The docBase attribute is
the specific directory or .war file for a single webapp, and is defined
in that webapp's <Context> element.  If the webapp is stored under
appBase, you may not even need a <Context> element and you must not have
a docBase setting.  The docBase attribute should be used only when the
webapp's <Context> element is in an .xml file under conf/[engine]/[host]
or in server.xml (as noted previously, the latter is strongly
discouraged).

> To simplify the issue, I would like all servlets/jsps/war files to be
> all in public_html.

You're mixing up entities from different levels of the hierarchy.  A
.war file contains a complete webapp - a standalone component; a servlet
or .jsp is part of a webapp - not a standalone component.  All servlets
and jsps must be part of some webapp or another, as noted in the

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.