I can attest to making *this exact mistake* before.  A
cut-and-paste-in-haste left a request-scoped variable as a static.  It
happened to be the database connection.  You can imagine the havoc an error
like this caused.

I also reported a bug against 5.5.12 where in a cluster, the session will
timeout in 2X the session timeout period *regardless* of incoming requests.
Filip has fixed this for 5.5.18+  Could this be your problem?

Tim