"There's a bit of real documentation here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/cat
alina/startup/Embedded.html

Unfortunately, the promising "See also:" link doesn't lead to much, but
looking at the source code for org/apache/catalina/startup/Catalina.java
should be informative."

Right, those are two of the places I looked at, including the source for
Catalina.java, and they weren't helpful.  They are all about specifying files
on the filesystem.  If I'm going to have my users install something, I might as
well just hand them the Tomcat installer and tell them to use it.  What I
really want is a no-installation jar file.  I'm starting to think that this
might be a bit of a project to get it working, or I might want to look at some
other Servlet containers that are more set up for embedding.