Allen Young wrote:

> First, how can I use APR on a windows install version of tomcat 5.5.x. I've
> found several tutorials about setting APR, all of which are about adding
> something in catalina.bat. As you can see, windows install version doesn't
> have that file but do contains a tcnative-1.dll file in the "bin"
> directory. So how can I use APR on a windows install version? Or it has
> been
> automatically used already?

tcnative-1.dll in Tomcat's bin directory should be enough to make Tomcat use
it.
If you're not sure whether or not the native DLL is actually loaded, look at
catalina.out. If Tomcat couldn't find the DLL it will log a message similar
29.12.2006 16:31:10 org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
lifecycleEvent
INFO: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in
production environments was not found on the java.library.path: [...]
(if you didn't comment the AprLifecycleListener in server.xml).

Moreover, the class names for the Protocol handlers differ between APR and
non-APR. Without APR loaded you'll see something like

29.12.2006 16:31:10 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080

in catalina.out. With APR this will look like

23.07.2006 15:34:47 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080

Regards
  mks