Hi,

Another reason that I need to be able to throw the exception in the
BEGIN event is because for some requests there is no input, only output,
so I might never actually get a READ event (GET requests for long pieces
of data for example). However I do want to write output to the client as
it comes in (which is why I need Comet) and it's not a file, it is a
dynamically generated stream, making the standard servlet (serivce
method) approach infeasable from a scalability point of view.

You don't have to wait to be inside the processing of a read event to
write data.

But I need to verify if the request is valid, and since I don't know if there will be a read event the only place I can do it is in the begin event. Throwing the ServletException there was my way of dealing with the invalid request; that was why I needed to throw it in the begin event and not somewhere else.

Regards,
Sebastiaan