From: Rashmi Rubdi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:04 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat deployment question

Hi Lakshmi,

Rename the context file from htdocs.xml to ROOT.xml then you should be
able to access the app at http://localhost:8080/

-Rashmi

-------------------Original posting by Lakshmi
I have upgraded from Tomcat 3.3 to Tomcat 5.5.23.  It is running on
WinXP and I am using Java 1.5.

Here's my dierctory set up:

${Catalina.Home}
     -- conf
           -- Catalina
                 --localhost
                        htdocs.xml
     -- htdocs
           index.html
           --bin
           --html
           --jsp
           --css
           --jar
           --WEB-INF
                web.xml
                 --classes
                 --lib

In server.xml, I modified the <Host> element to have {appBase="htdocs"
autoDeploy="false"}
I am using htdocs.xml in ${Catalina.home}/Catalina/localhost as the
context descriptor and is defined as follows:

 <Context docBase="${catalina.home}" override="true" privileged="true">
<Loader className="com.example.appClassLoader" reloadable="true"/>
    <!-- Default set of monitored resources -->
     <!-- Uncomment this to disable session persistence across Tomcat
restarts -->
       <Manager pathname="" />
    </Context>

Tomcat is able to load appClassLoader. However, when I type,
http://localhost:8080, it is not able to load
the index.html found under the htdocs directory.   If I create ROOT
directory and move the index.html over there it is able to load it.
I guess, my main problem is how can I maintain the same directory
structure as above without having to create ROOT and move everything
below it?  The above directory structure worked in Tomcat 3.3.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Lakshmi