> From: Lakshmi Venkataraman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat deployment question
>
> Chuck Caldarale said it is preferable to have myApp outside Tomcat's
> directory heirarchy.

That's only true when your desired app name is not the same as the name
of the .war file.

> <TOP_DIR>
>    --Tomcat55                   {catalina.home}
>         -- conf
>            -- Catalina
>                  --localhost
>                         myApp.xml

The above declares that the URI path to your app is http://<host>/myApp,
not the default.

>    -- myApp
>            context.xml

No context.xml file should be at that location.  Even if it were at an
appropriate place (under the META-INF directory), it would be ignored,
since you already have the defining one in conf/Catalina/localhost.

> myApp.xml has the following:
> <Context docBase="C:\TOP_DIR\myApp" path="/myApp" override="true"
> privileged="true">
> </Context>

The path attribute is not allowed and may well be preventing the app
from being deployed.  Also, the use of a back slash in the docBase may
cause difficulty, as some scanners interpret it as an escape character.
A forward slash should always work, even on Windows.

> context.xml under myApp has
> <Context path="/myApp"/>

A pointless exercise, since the context.xml file in that location will
never be seen, and the path attribute is not allowed.

> http://localhost:8080 brings up the default Tomcat homepage.

As expected and previously explained by several responders: the default
app must be named ROOT; no ifs, ands, or buts.

> I am NOT able to access my application as http://localhost:8080/myApp

Most likely due to the incorrect attributes on the <Context> element.

> Ideally, I would like to access my application as
> http://localhost:8080.

Then you must name it ROOT, as everyone has been telling you.  Remove
the existing webapps/ROOT to avoid conflict.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.