I noticed that in my exploded WAR file, if I make changes to a Facelet
(similar to JSP) or stylesheet while Tomcat is running, I see the change
when I navigate to that page in my browser.

What changes are automatically picked up, and what requires a redeploy?

Things include changes to the server's web.xml, server.xml, libraries, and
the context's web.xml, faces-config.xml, Java classes, etc.

Could somebody please describe what the mechanism going on here is, that
allows for immediate updating in some cases but not others?

Thanks.