There's no folders under CATALINA_BASE/conf, but I have a guess as to what's
going on and perhaps you could comment.

I'm using the invoker servlet - could that be a reason, or does it have
nothing to do with this?

Also, could it be why no .java and .class files are generated in my "work"
directory?

What other effects might one expect using the invoker servlet?