In your production environment have you "disabled" or "excluded" the actual
Tomcat piece that does the JSP compilation, to decrease the size and memory
usage (no matter how small) of the production Tomcat install? The part of
the JSP spec that I referred to in my original post seemed to indicate that
it might be possible depending on your container. As Tomcat is the RI, I'm
wondering whether this capability is available.