On 6/25/07, lightbulb432 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks for your detailed response. See questions below.

In-process Tomcat is to have Tomcat running in the same process space as
> Apache HTTPD, IIS, or other web server.  Since most of the web servers
> are implemented in C/C++, you will have to use JNI to integrate with
> Java-based Tomcat, and create a "mod_tomcat" like module for Httpd.

So there's no standard prepackaged installation of the two combined, or no
standard "connector" plugin or something that's distributed with either
Tomcat or HTTPD, which is why I'd have to create it myself? Is the
in-process approach that uncommon?

personally i never heard of anyone using it.

Definitely the in-process setup improves performance, since
> communication between Tomcat and web server occurs via memory-based data
> exchange.  It will be less stable since if something went wrong with the
> Tomcat, it would affect the web server directly.  It will also be less
> scalable, since this setup won't support high-availability and
> clustering of Tomcat servers.

Why does the in-process approach render high-availability and clustering
impossible? From a technical/implementation perspective, what is it about
the in-process approach that causes this specific functionality to not be
possible?

I think the poster means that you can't loadbalance with an apache
between multiple tomcat instance, a clustering / fail-over technique
for low cost sites (say 2 or 3 webservers).

In any case, if clustering features don't work then it's definitely no
surprise that any web application that needs to scale wouldn't use this
approach...unless it is being used in some way by such web applications in
production - anybody know?

Any web application that needs to scale wouldn't use httpd (or
anything else) in front of tomcat, so the question in- or out-process
tomcat doesn't matter. From 5 high performance application I know the
details of, 1 is still using apache in front; more out of habbit,
rather than by need. Others are using a hw loadbalancer in front of x
tomcat servers, and some servers for static content (which can be
apache httpd, but is mostly something different) which are parallel to
the tomcat servers. So the loadbalancer decides which server to ask
for specific content type.

regards
Leon