Any web application that needs to scale wouldn't use httpd (or
> anything else) in front of tomcat, so the question in- or out-process
> tomcat doesn't matter. From 5 high performance application I know the
> details of, 1 is still using apache in front; more out of habbit,
> rather than by need. Others are using a hw loadbalancer in front of x
> tomcat servers, and some servers for static content (which can be
> apache httpd, but is mostly something different) which are parallel to
> the tomcat servers. So the loadbalancer decides which server to ask
> for specific content type.

You're actually the first person I've heard to say that apps that need to
scale would not use HTTPD. I've read the exact opposite on multiple
occassions, but as I'm a relative newbie to Tomcat I'm hoping people on this
mailing list can correct me. Could you expand on your point further?

How would hardware load balancers go about handling sticky sessions? Or
would you have to design for a stateless web tier so that any Tomcat
instance will do upon the next request?

You mention that when you use a static content server, it's generally
something other that HTTPD. Is there a particular reason for that? What
static servers have you generally seen in use apart from HTTPD - are there
things that just work "better" in the setup you described than others?