http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/misc.html#utf8

And you should first start with in server.xml:
    <Connector ... URIEncoding="UTF-8" .../>

-Tim

Joe Russo wrote:
I am getting the following error in the display of the JSP.  To give a
little history, this application I am supporting, at the time the
developers thought they needed to encode the characters to UTF-8 into
our Oracle DB.  The developers were unaware they could have allowed the
DB Driver convert it for us.  Therefore, we double encode going into and
out of the database.  Really stupid in hindsight.  Trying to clean the
database up is another project we face.
I am in the process of converting from using JRUN to Tomcat and I have
ran into the problem where these funky symbols are displaying.  I can
not find any stack traces that would explain or possibly clue into a
solution. My questions are: Does Tomcat have problems with any types of encoding? What type of characters are being displayed below and any advice in
troubleshooting or solving this would be gratefully appreciated.