Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> I don't think JVMs have used stop-the-world GC for some time, now.
> Strictly speaking, they still do, but global suspends occur much, much
> less frequently and for much shorter periods, so in most environments
> it's of negligible impact.

http://www.roselladb.com/dbms.htm Rosella DBMS  is a all java DBMS that can
use up to 512GB+ buffers on heap.
What it does in the beginning is to allocate multiple-megabyte
memory blocks to reduce the number of objects, so that
subsequent garbage collections can deal with very few
memory objects. It generate very little objects even though
it can deal with tens of millions records.

If you want to use big memory, you have to design to avoid such
seisures.