In ANT we are using our own URL encoding, because Java one does not [always] work correctly in some cases. I guess it could be happening here too (possibly when creating new URLClassLoaderes). Anyway, there are Tomcat sources available. Feel free fixing them and submitting the patch.

See http://www.cenqua.com/fisheye/demo/browse/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/launch/Locator.java .

- Alexey.

Markus Schiegl wrote:
Hi Alexey,

yes it does (see message thread and different logs). i've checked with
"set -x" and even the actual process call with "ps" and truss/strace.
same problem if I call java directly - okay it does not log to
catalina.out but to stdout...

Somewhere the road while watching the truss output the open-syscalls use
the wrong/truncated directory.

thanks and kind regards,
   Markus

Alexey Solofnenko wrote:
Try running "bash -x catalina.sh run" to see if Java is started
correctly. If it is not, try running the same command from a normal
directory, and run the same command yourself without using scripts
provided with Tomcat.

- Alexey.

Markus Schiegl wrote:
Hi,

you're right about # as a special char for different programming
languages. but nevertheless the # sign is a valid character for
directory and file names (in contrast to * or / for example) for unix
and windows. If it's wise to use it is another question but sometimes
it's just beyond your control.

The same problem (# in directory name) and error message
(ClassNotFoundException) happens with Windows XP. Confirms my suspicion
this beeing a Java and/or Tomcat issue.

kind regards,
   Markus

Propes, Barry L wrote:
isn't that likely because in some languages like PHP, Python and Perl
the # is to comment out a line, and it will invariably break the code?
Because I thought some on this list were integrating Tomcat with
those languages.