"Rainer Jung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Do I get the box, if I can write a servlet and describe a procedure by
> which a Firefox user can produce the exception when calling my servlet?

I think that something like (haven't actually tried it myself, mostly
because I have servers with infinite timeouts):
   protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response)
   throws IOException, ServletException {
        response.setContentType("text/plain");
        PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
        out.println("Hello World");
        out.flush();
        try {
            Thread.sleep(timeout); // timeout is >=  the configured timeout
on Apache
        } catch(InterruptedException iex) {
            //ignore
        }
   }

should work.  If anyone has a more interesting example, I'd love to see it
:).

> Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
>> Have you noticed if this affects IE users and Firefox users equally?  I
>> ask because there's a known issue (that I've never seen an actual answer
>> to) where IE causes these exceptions frequently with no ill effect to
>> anything (other than the overhead of handling the exception in the VM on
>> the server).  I'd bet a box of donuts that it only happens for IE users.

Yes, it should have no ill effects, since it is happening where Tomcat is
telling Apache that it is done with the request, so Apache can reuse it for
somebody else.