> From: Matthew Kerle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> the MemoryUser class is in catalina.jar, which is in the server/lib
> folder. would I be right in saying that web application code
> is barred
> from loading any classes from the server/lib directory?

(light bulb comes on)

Ah yes, I remember this now from some ancient history on another
project.  It's a real pain, principally because the Principal interface
is IMO too limited.  We ended up with the horrible, horrible hack of
pulling the class out of catalina.jar, putting it in its own jar, and
deploying that in common/lib.  This, of course, means you no longer have
a default Tomcat install... but we couldn't find another way round the
problem.

                - Peter