Hi David

David Smith wrote:
My only editorial comment on the page is to NOT place your <Resource.../> or <Context .../> definition in server.xml as recommended on the page. Place it in context.xml or myapp.xml as I describe above.

Just quickly, I was wondering why you recommend this? I know the tomcat docs have changed to reflect the deprecation of defining the <Resource.../> or <Context .../> definition in server.xml, but I never understood why, and personally doing things that way is a serious pain for me since it means I need to build a separate deployment descriptor for dev, test & prod, which means I need to know the prod database details. which I don't want.

Is there a better way that the sysadmin can setup a JNDI datasource so that deployed war's don't have to contain database-specific details? the only way I've seen so far is to configure that in the server.xml...

cheers!

--
Matthew Kerle
IT Consultant