(Debian) Linux 2.6.11.12-xenU
Tomcat 5.5.20
Java 1.5.0_04

This question concerns access to a running Tomcat instance by a
previously unseen/unknown user agent.
I have been developing commercial sites in Java for a number of years
now but this is the first time I have
deployed a commercial application on my own and hence I am a complete
beginner when it comes to dealing with
nefarious nerks trying to hack my installation.

Is it a 'Tomcat' question ?... I'm not sure but here goes anyway.

The following might be quite harmless but it would be nice to hear of
others exp' in this area

Looking at the user agent section of my Webalizer generated access log
analysis page I can see the following entry

curl/7.12.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.12.1 OpenSSL/0.

I have been to http://curl.haxx.se/ and it seems to my (currently)
inexperienced eye
that this software _could_ be used to do all sorts of despicable
things to a web site.
I guess it could also be used to 'build your own browser' so I'm not
panicking just yet

I have telnet and ftp disabled and access the server via ssh and scp.

Is this likely to be some dismal little hacker trying to probe my defenses or
am I worrying unnecessarily.

I will investigate curl further of course.

Thanks
Duncan