If you don't want to cache internally then you need a distributed caching
scheme.
There is an open source solution from the guys at Terracotta.org they call
Network Attached Memory.  Basically you can deploy a virtual heap against
disk and make your memory as big as you want.  They built all sorts of drop
in config modules already:
https://wiki.terracotta.org/confluence/display/integrations/Home.

Hope this helps.

Dwayne